Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The drama continues...

We're supposed to close Monday. Monday. As in, five days from today. Monday. The appraisal is done. The home inspection is done. Today we sent over our list of things that we want them to fix (based off of the inspection). We're this close to closing.

And then this afternoon we got a call.

Remember the house that I affectionately termed The Best House Ever? Remember how we made our offer at the same time as other people and they ended up choosing someone else's offer over ours and I was devastated?

The offer fell through.

They wanted to know if we were still interested.

...

...

...

WHAT?!?!

Ummm... That house has crown molding in the kitchen. And stainless steel appliances. There's a park behind the house. It had a Jack and Jill style bathroom upstairs. It's down the street from one of my best friends one way and down the street from another best friend the other way. It feeds into a regular ward and a BYU married ward. OH. And, the address has 2345 in it.

Of COURSE we're interested.

I talked to our agent and found out what we'd lose if we switched houses this late in the game. ($250 for the home inspection. No big deal.) I called our loan officer (after hours, at home, on her cellphone) and asked her what we'd lose if we switched. ($300 for the appraisal and our interest rate might go up 0.01%-- also not a huge deal.) And then, our agent talked to their agent. They said we could come over anytime tonight. (Except it was just me because Mitch is in San Francisco.) He also set things up so that we could see our current house again too. So I could compare (and so that his wife could compare since she hadn't seen either of these two).

We went to our current house first. And it was still just as beautiful as ever. (Maybe even better than last time since it was well lit and clean.)

We went to the 2345 house second. And it was... less. I still loved all the things I loved before but... a lot of those things our house has too. Our house is still down the street from my best friends, it still feeds into the same BYU married ward, and ours has a park-ish area behind the house (with a playground and clubhouse with pool). I still loved the white cabinets in the kitchen and the dark cabinets in the bathrooms in this one but... [shrug] everything else was mediocre. The kitchen is way smaller in the 2345 one. The carpet is meh but it's new so we can't change it. The rooms upstairs seem smaller. There's no attic. The outside isn't as pretty. The cabinet thing I used to like in the dining room now seems like it's taking all the space plus there's carpet in the dining room. Etc.

Know what?

Ours is better.

No comments: