Remember how we moved back to Utah-- into my in-law's basement-- two month ago? Yeah. We're still here. We were waiting to sell our contact on our California apartment before we found somewhere here but, that's done. And we're still here.
It's not that I don't love my in-laws. I do!!! And really, they're super nice about us being here. But I still want my own place.
Anyway, at first we were looking (a lot) at renting but we haven't been able to find anywhere that we like and that will let us have our kitties. [sigh] It might be a little bit because our apartment in California was way nicer than your average Provo apartment that has been lived in by like... say, 1 couple every year and a half (2 every three years) for the last 30 years + groups of four girls (minimum) every year and a half (8 every three years but some girls move more often so let's say 12 girls allowing 4 of them to move after just one year) for the 40 years before that = 2(10) + 12(~13) = 20 + 160 = 180 people over just the last 70 years. Maybe our standards are too high.
So now we're looking at maybe buying something. Maybe. And I'm not talking like some $400,000 house, I'm just saying like, a townhouse. You know, something small but still somewhere we could call home.
And since Mitch has been home this week and last week, we've been kind of looking. In fact, we looked at a bunch of places last week. I liked the very first one (typical). It was the nicest and the least expensive and I Wanted It. Mitch doesn't make up his mind about big decisions as quickly as I do though. I didn't even need to look at the last ones on our list. I liked the first one. [shrug] Mitch is good for me though. We waited, looked at others, talked/prayed about it, etc. and by Friday night, decided we wanted to put in an offer.
Saturday we put in the offer. Here's the only thing though. While we were deciding about whether or not to put an offer in at all, two other people put in their offers. The seller still let us put in our offer but we definitely catered it to the fact that we knew other people had already made offers. After we faxed in our offer, our agent called their agent's office and as the secretary opened the fax email, she said, "OH!" so we were hopeful.
That night they sent us a counteroffer. !!!, right? Wrong. They sent everyone the same counteroffer telling us that they'd had multiple offers and for us to submit our highest and best offer and that the sooner the settlement date, the better.
Sunday we sent in our offer again, just tweaked a little.
Monday we talked to our agent and found out that our offer wasn't the highest but it was high enough and we had the best closing date (the couple selling the house is in a bit of a... financial bind and need to get out of the house as soon as possible) so chances are it wasn't if they were going to choose our offer, it was when. But they had until 5:00 pm to accept our offer.
5:00 came.
And went.
We talked to our agent to see if he'd heard anything and he was on his way to his office to see if they'd faxed it there. A little while later he called back to confirm they'd gone with someone else.
I understood.
But... but... I'd wanted it. It was The Best House Ever. It had crown molding in the kitchen. And stainless steel appliances. There was a park behind the house. It had a Jack and Jill style bathroom upstairs. It was down the street from one of my best friends one way and down the street from another best friend the other way. It fed into a regular ward and a BYU married ward. OH. And, the address had 2345 in it.
And I was sad all last night and all today. I know it's just one house but... it was The Best House Ever. I hoped that the deal would fall through. The buyer wouldn't get their funding. Whatever. And I know there are other houses but... I didn't want to look at any of them. They weren't the same.
But-- this afternoon I decided it was okay. There are other houses. And there were things that we didn't like the best about that one. And if we pick one that hasn't already been "done," we can do it ourselves and pick the things we like. We're looking at a bunch more tomorrow. In the same neighborhood.
And somehow, even though I don't know how it'll turn out yet, I do know it'll all eventually turn out okay.
Halloween in New Zealand
11 years ago
2 comments:
Ok, so of course I'm sorry to hear that things didn't work out. But I just thought this post was hilarious. It TOTALLY sounded like an Alexander book. But really, I am sorry about it... Freddy keeps telling me to not get my hopes up. But how can you NOT get your hopes up? He says I'm setting my self up for disappointment if anything falls through. But I don't WANT anything to fall through-- I want the HOUSE. Yeah-- I totally know how you feel.
I'm so sorry that it didn't go through! We put an offer in about 2 months ago and our realtor told us a secret - you put an offer down quick and say "good financing" and give them a 24-hour deadline and she said you'll usually have people accept lower offers because of the deadline. Who knows. maybe it actually works. Meanwhile, buying something out here freaked me out and I decided to rent! haha! We miss you!
And I'm a lame blogger lately but WHAT! YOU WENT TO CALGARY!! Hal and I lived there (I'm from Calgary and Kya was born there) so you went to a LOT of my favorite stops. I love the shopping there! And I even started driving slower after living there a few months - drove me nuts.
Hope you guys are doing well!!!!
We are spending every breathing moment on Prop 8 - it's insane
Post a Comment