Since we didn't know how long we were going to be in Mitch's parents' ward, they haven't given either of us official callings. I do have a special assignment though. Her name is Jayne. She's a Sunbeam and I'm her friend. I help keep track of her.
Today she did a decently good job of sitting still during Sharing Time and Singing Time. Towards the end she started playing with my hair ("When your hair is like this it looks beautiful!"). Then to keep her occupied I let her try putting my earrings back in the holes ("I want to try again!"). Then Jayne wanted to go through my purse. [shrug] Okay, fine. But instead of just giving her my purse and letting her rifle through it, I gave her one thing at a time and let her play with it as long as she wanted before she'd get the next thing.
Who knew I had such interesting things in my purse!
Things Jayne Got To Play With (that kept her quiet) Before We Ran Out of Time:
Scriptures. (Very little interest in those.)
A calculator. (Jayne wasn't super interested in it at first but later Katie loved it.)
Neutrogena Hand Cream. (She didn't really know what to do with it so I put some on her hand and showed her how to rub it in.)
One of my planners. ("What's that for?" "MONEY!" Uh, no Jayne.)
Keys. (She was semi-interested in making the zip drive thing slide in and out.)
A nail file. (She didn't know what it was for. She thought it was a tongue depressor and stuck it in her mouth. Great.)
Lipgloss. (I gave each of the girls a dot on their fingers and let them put it on their lips.)
Bobby pins. (At first she was content putting them in her hair but once I'd given her enough she had more fun linking them together. Then Brooke and Abby wanted to each hold one too.)
A ponytail holder. (Jayne has pretty short hair so she had more fun putting it around both of her feet and trying to walk that putting it in her hair.)
Chapstick. (Yes, she put it on.)
An eyebrow brush/eyelash comb thing. (And I showed them how to use it and let each of them try it on each other.)
My Kaiser card, a library card, and my Flex Spending Card (that's what it's called, right?). ("Is this a library card?" "Do you want to come to the library with ME?")
My Driver's License. (Yes, I got it back.)
The little earpiece thing that goes to my phone. (Boy did she have fun with that. And then Brooke wanted to try. I put it in their ear and then clipped it to the collars of their dresses. Then I called my mom so they could hear it ring before I hung up.)
My checkbook. (She made it into a telescope/megaphone.)
Postage stamps. ("Stickers!")
A mechanical pencil. (Which is clicked and clicked and clicked and clicked.)
A picture of my family. ("How do you spell all their names?" I wrote them down as she pointed to the person. "N?! I HAVE N TOO!!! J-A-Y-N-E!!!")
And, the most favorite thing in my purse?
White Out tape. They all had to try it.
Aren't Sunbeams fun? I just had to make sure not to pull anything out of my purse I didn't want them to play with and supervise the things I did pull out.
Unfortunately, we're moving in two weeks and they're dividing the ward today anyway so, this was my last week as Jayne's friend. Too bad. We had fun every week.
Halloween in New Zealand
11 years ago
1 comment:
who knew you could have such an adventure with items in a purse?!
Not I.
My YW today all wanted to put my shoes (very high red high heels)on. "what size shoes do you wear?" Oh! Can I try them on?! Very fun game.
Post a Comment