Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Washington, DC -- Day 4

Tuesday we went to the White House Visitor's Center. There was a really good video tour of the White House (you know, good if you can't go to the real White House) and lots of good stuff about the First Ladies.

From there we walked to the real White House.



I even made us get a picture of the White House Garden.



After that, we went to Dupont Circle and looked at some of the different embassies there. We had fun and we wanted to look at more but it was just so stinkin' hot, it wasn't worth it. Besides, they're pretty spread out.

After that, we went to the National Museum of American History. Mitch mostly just wanted to sit and rest so I let him do that while I wandered around by myself. It was actually nice because I was able to skip all the boring stuff and go as fast as I wanted to. They had Julia Child's kitchen on display. She's funny. And then upstairs there was an old like... 200 year old house that they'd taken apart, shipped to the Smithsonian and reassembled. Then they told the stories of the people that had live there. Neat. After that I waited in a long, long line for my favorite thing ever-- the inaugural ball gowns of the First Ladies. Loved it. It was so neat to see how big some of the ladies were. Martha Washington was SHORT! Upstairs I saw Judy Garland's ruby slippers and then called it good.

From there we walked to the Jefferson Memorial. We wanted to do the paddle boats there but we got there like... 15 minutes too late. We didn't know what time they closed. Oh well. We still had a nice walk to the Jefferson Memorial.



I wasn't really planning on us going to the FDR Memorial but someone we met at the Smithsonian really suggested it. So we went. And LOVED it. Mitch said it was one of his favorite things.

And then we went to dinner at this place that gives you GIANT burritos.

3 comments:

A said...

Wow! Sounds like you really had a busy day. I would love to see the White House some day. In my humanities class, we learned about architecture and I think I could really show my skillz over there. Ha!

Oh, and I know what you mean about going at your own pace. Any time I'm at a museum or gallery or whatever, I'd rather skip off ahead and do my own thing. Some people are way too slow.

The Shark said...

Wait -- you went to the American History museum and didn't bother to see the Star Spangled Banner???! It's the best part of the whole building!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for White House's pics

Get More Details