Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Washington, DC -- Day 1

We've been everywhere!

We left Friday night and drove up to Mitch's parents' house in Draper to stay the night there. Somehow Mitch's dad got volunteered to drive us to the airport at 4:45 in the morning. Bless his heart. Also, I've learned-- no more early morning flights. I could do those better when I was 18 and single. Back then I liked getting where I was going early and staying as late as I could. Not so anymore.

Our flight from Salt Lake to Cincinnati left at 6:15. It was THE. LONGEST. FLIGHT. EVER. Honestly, I don't know if I just wasn't prepared with enough things to keep me busy or what but I swear I about died. I could not sit still. It was the most awful 3? 4? hours of my life. I've decided that "Most Air Travel" belongs right above "Most Sunday School" on the Most Boring Things list. From Cincinnati we flew to D.C.. That was a good flight. It was like... 45 minutes? An hour? And I had a magazine and cheese crackers.

From the airport, we took the most random people mover ever. We couldn't figure out what they were and then we found out they're like buses but bigger. And more frigid inside. I made Mitch take a picture with his phone because these things were honestly the most random things ever. And better yet, the thing could actually get taller and shorter. Random.


Words just don't adequately describe those things.

We got our luggage, took the bus from the airport to the Metro (Note to self: fly in and out of Reagan next time), and then took the Metro in to the city. We walked the long way (we didn't know any better) from the Metro to our hotel, checked in, and collapsed.

After an hour nap--we really were exhausted--we ventured out to explore.

We went and saw the Washington Monument, the World War II Memorial, the reflecting pool, the Lincoln Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, and the Korean War Memorial.





And we caught our first glance of the White House.


3 comments:

erin said...

If you can't travel that long, then never plan to go to Europe. :)

A said...

That is one STRANGE looking people mover! Hahaha! How odd! I thought it was like.. one of those portals from the airport gate to the plane. That thing moves? weird!

Love the pics of you and Mitch :) Very nice!

Anonymous said...

Yes! i agree with erin

Get More Details