Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Washington, DC -- Day 3

We started Monday with a tour of the Capitol.



If you've ever been to the Capitol, you probably know that each state is allowed to have two statues of people that are significant to their state on display. Utah has Brigham Young (obvious choice) and... Philo T. Farnsworth??? He's the guy that invented the television but he's from Idaho. Technically he did live in Utah for a little while but really, he's an Idahoan. I think we have plenty of other good enough people that we don't need to be stealing Idaho's famous people. (Apparently Idaho's not happy about it either.) Can't we get a statue of President Hinckley or someone there?

After the Capitol, we walked through the tunnel to the Library of Congress. Mitch wanted to see it because it was in National Treasure but it wasn't all that exciting.

For lunch we ate at Good Stuff Eatery. It's a burger, shakes, and fries place that one of Mitch's friends recommended to us. It was good. (He also recommended Potbelly Sandwiches and we ate there Sunday.) When we were full, we walked down to the Air and Space Museum. Everyone kept telling us we needed to go there so, we went. Mitch liked it a lot more than I did. He really enjoyed all the planes. I mostly just liked all the pilot uniforms. A few of the exhibits were closed (I think because they were setting up for something special because of the anniversary of the first man on the moon) and that was disappointing.


After the museum, we went out to Arlington National Cemetery. I've seen the cemetery before on tv and in movies but there's nothing like actually seeing in. It was amazing. I would have liked to have longer to visit but I wasn't expecting that I would so we hadn't planned for it. We watched the last changing of the guard for the night before the cemetery closed.



A couple years ago, Mitch went out to D.C. for a job interview and he'd stayed in Alexandria. Since we were semi-close to Alexandria already, we took the Metro the rest of the way out. I always love walking down the main street of old towns. We ate dinner at the best Italian restaurant (Bertucci's), took the trolley back to the Metro, and went home.

(And I'm noticing now that we need more pictures with US in them...)

2 comments:

A said...

Cool! I would have loved to have watched the guards switching shifts. Do a lot of people watch that? Silly question, I know.

I love the artwork on that ceiling. Sure is beautiful. Would love to see it in person some day.

Oh, and with regards to Mr. Philo - that's messed up. I'm sure there are plenty of other important figures in Utah history that we could have used instead of stealing one from Idaho. Lame.

Anonymous said...

i also loved to watched the guards switching shifts.

Get More Details