Friday, September 12, 2008

So maybe I'm weird.

In an effort to appear "normal," I've kept my list of links on the side of my (our?) blog really, really limited.

(As if those are the only blogs I read.)

In actuality, I read a lot of blogs. And the list never stays the same either. Sometimes I get bored with people's blogs and once I realize I'm clicking "Mark all as read" on Google Reader more often than I'm actually reading the persons posts, I delete them. [shrug] Why keep them around?

And sometimes I add people. The people I add come from two places:

1. Discovering that people that I know have a blog.
2. Clicking on links from from the people whose blogs I read.

Number one is semi-weird because I feel like it's awkward that they don't know that I read their blog. Even if I know them. And especially if it's something like... they were in my last, last, last ward and we haven't talked in forever just because that's just how life is but, we were friends so, that counts for something, right?

Number two is weird because well, I don't know them. Sometimes Mitch sees me reading someone that he doesn't know's blog and asks me, "How do you know her?" And I feel really, really guilty saying, "I don't." The only reason I read their blog is because it was on the side bar of so-and-so's (that I do know) blog and so I clicked it and liked it. (And really, if my friends blogged more, maybe I wouldn't have to go looking for new material to read.)

And really, I need to get over it because:

1. Lots of people that I don't know read my blog and frankly,
a. I don't care.
b. I'm flattered that they think it's worth reading.
2. Even though it's like... a secret thing, you guys sometimes read the blogs of people you don't know, right? Everybody does it?

But for some reason I think that other people wouldn't feel the same way. And they'd think it's weird that I read their blog if I don't know know them. And even though I know other people do the same thing, I hate admitting that I like the blogs I find. But secretly, some of their blogs are good! I can't help it. I know, I know. It's one thing to read them once. It's another to keep reading them.

Still.

Effective today, I'm coming out and officially saying that if you have a list of recommended sites, I consider it fair game and I may check them out. And I may like them. And I may keep reading them. Even if I don't personally know the people. You know them. (Okay or maybe the person you recommended knows them.) That's good enough. And they're good writers. So there.

5 comments:

Dan Cummings said...

Let me come out of the ether and say that I do the same thing. I read lots of blogs that I don't comment on, I just like to keep up with people's lives. I read yours every once in a while because I know you from the 100HB. Something that lets me feel a little less guilty is that I share my blogs that I read on my blog through google reader.

Chillygator said...

I do that too! I've found a lot of amazing blogs (my friends have good taste, I guess), but I don't usually comment on them because the writer doesn't know me.

zookeeper08 said...

You are NOT weird. I think most of us do it. In fact, I think a lot of people are flattered that people who don't know them in real life like to read their blog.

I guess it is like how if Mom likes your drawing, it's one thing. But if someone who doesn't know you likes it, and no one twisted their arm to get them to say they like it, it is another thing altogether.

HalnJess said...

We all do it!! It's called Blog-stalking. At least you're not in denial. This is the first step...hahah! jk

I find some really fun ideas when I get bored and Hal's traveling...

Jewls said...

Hey Jessica! I didn't know you had a blog...and you probably didn't know I had one too! So now you can add me to your list on the side and I've added you to mine. And you can look at my blog anytime you want and not be weird. Haha
And to comment on this post, you're really not weird. That's seriously what happens in the blogging world. It's normal to look at random people's blogs, that's what they're there for! I love it when someone I don't know checks out my blog and comments. It's great! So don't feel bad, you're not weird. : )