Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The end of September.

I know I already blogged once today but, I'm blogging again. It's my blog so I can.

Hasn't September flown by? It has for me. The month went fast, the weeks went fast, and the days went fast. Mitch probably wouldn't agree. He was in Phoenix for what, three of the four weeks? At least he's home this week though. He's a hard worker. I'm proud of him.

We're still looking for an apartment. [sigh] I don't know why it's so hard to find something but, it is. Maybe we're being too picky. I don't know. Maybe we just like Mitch's family so much that we want to stay here forever. Hm. It is nice that I have other people at home when he's gone.

Anyway. School's going well. Okay, very well. I'm good at school. Speaking of which, I have a few "school" stories.

First: I have to spend a few hours working in different classrooms this semester for my "Field Experience." I've been at Orem Elementary quite a bit lately and there have been two things I've noticed that I just love.

1. I actually saw a boy "count the dots" on a number!!! Okay, this may not seem like a big deal to those of you that grew up in Utah but really, I swear we never learned how to add by "counting the dots" on a number in California. I didn't even hear about that idea until a couple weeks ago in my math class. Afterward the class I had to ask Mitch if it was a real thing. He said that it is, in fact, a real thing and that he learned it too. (Rannnndom!) Anyway. I was excited to see a boy do it when he didn't know I was noticing.
2. You know how sometimes classes will walk down the halls of the school as a class? And chances are, the teacher has told the kids that they need to walk quietly and in a straight line or whatever? Well, I think the kids here interpret "walk quietly" to be the same thing as "walk reverently." They all fold their arms! Kids here are so Mormon. I love it.

Second: This is short. For the last week or two there has been a table in the LA building at UVU that's registering people to vote. As students walk by, the table people ask if the student is registered to vote. When asked, one guy responded, "Heck yeah, I am." I was so proud of his response. Way to be proud of being registered to vote.

Those are my school stories.

Anyway. I'm excited for October. We have so many fun things planned.

6 comments:

Whitney R said...

September has flown by. It's crazy.

Fun school stories! I love the counting dots thing. I don't remember how I learned it but I did. At least I sure hope its the same thing I'm thinking of.

And the kids fold their arms. haha. That is really cute :)

Unknown said...

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "count the dots" of a number....

Emily said...

Oh, those are great stories!

I think younger kids in CA sometimes learn to count the dots in numbers. Like kids Tyler's age might do that. Because I know I definitely didn't, and I don't know where the dots are, but I'm familiar with that. And not from Utah.

zookeeper08 said...

Great school stories!

But I have absolutely NO idea what "count the dots" means. None. At. All.

Yes, I'm a product of California schools, so maybe that's my excuse?

Please explain.

The Shark said...

I also know not what is meant by "count the dots."

Brittany said...

I don't remember learning how to count the dots, but I learned it. And I grew up in Colorado.