Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Apartment Hunting.

So, now that we're out of our Dublin contract (YAY!!!), I've been looking at apartments in Provo/Orem. Not that I don't love living in Mitch's parents' basement but, you know, it'd be nice to have our own apartment again. And it'll be nice not to have to commute thirty minutes each way to school.

I'm running into two issues, one bigger than the other.

1. Mitch would kind of like to help find the new apartment. Fair enough. He'll be living there too. But he's in Phoenix. So far we've decided that if I find an apartment that's the right price, the right location, the right amenities, etc. that I absolutely love, I can look at it and get it without him.

2. Nobody wants my kitties. I've been looking for a little while now and it seems like all of the ads say "NO SMOKING!!!!! NO PETS!!!!! NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Okay, okay. I'd get the point with only one exclamation point. Even a period would do the job.

And why don't you want my kitties, anyway? I can understand not wanting to allow six cats. Or not wanting to allow a pit bull. But my kitties are nice.



And besides,

a. We'd be renting an unfurnished apartment. That means we bring all our own furnishings. That means that if the kitties scratch the furniture or something, it's our furniture they're ruining. Why should you care if our furniture gets ruined? And besides that, they don't ruin our furniture anyway.
b. What about the carpet? Fair enough. I wouldn't want cat urine on my carpet either. But my kitties have never, ever... you know. They always, always use the litter box. And about the litter box, I clean it usually every day and at the least every other day. Mitch and I can't stand the smell of a dirty litter box.
c. My cats are going to do a lot less damage than someone else's two year old son. They won't draw on the walls, they won't give the carpet a haircut, and they won't make a slip-n-slide on the kitchen floor. And yet it doesn't say, "NO SMOKING! NO PETS! NO CHILDREN! NO EXCEPTIONS!"
d. Our track record speaks for itself. I've had cats in four apartments now and haven't had an issue in even one of them. Even our fancy apartment complex in Dublin is giving us back our full deposit (minus, obviously, the normal painting, cleaning, etc. charges that they charge everyone). Let us pay a higher deposit if you're worried about it. That's fine with us.

I'm almost to the point of operating on a "Better to Beg Forgiveness Than to Ask Permission" basis. If the ad doesn't specifically say no pets, that must mean pets are okay, right? Unfortunately, I doubt that'd turn out as well as I'd like.

And no, we're not giving the kitties away. Don't suggest that, even if you don't like cats.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Uhhh, I'm pretty sure the phrase says it's easier to ask forgiveness. Not better.

Also, maybe you and Mitch could live in my living room? It would be a move up from the basement. Well, in one way, at least. lol

The Shark said...

Two things:

1) The rule in general is there because it can be too hard to take this on a case-by-case basis. There are too many neglectful pet owners out there who DON'T train their animals to be as well-behaved as yours. These people ruin it for the rest of us.

2) The dander left by your cats in the apartment will make it harder to rent out to other tenants if said tenants have cat allergies -- it doesn't matter how clean your cats are. The more they rub against things, the more dander they leave behind.

Also, do you let your cats outside? If so, you also run the risk of introducing bugs (mostly fleas) to the apartment, which can be costly and very difficult to exterminate.

Genuine Draft said...

I think you should consider the issue of allergies -even the nicest cats leave behind hair and dander. When we moved into your old apartment I was sneezing and miserable for weeks.

Jessica said...

Okay. And I semi-understand the allergy argument. But, at the same time, most of that would be eliminated (maybe not all but a fair amount) if any Provo property management really cleaned their apartments before they let the new tenants move in. When we moved out of our Dublin apartment, we had to pay to have our whole apartment cleaned, including steam cleaning our carpets, by professionals. No offense to any property management company but, I doubt they did any of that before you moved into our old apartment. And yeah, the old tenants would have cleaned as much as possible before you moved in but we both know that's not the same as professionals doing it.