Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I'm now a "Starving Student" too.

I had my first experience as a "starving student" the other day.

Okay.

So, every year that I've been in Utah I've had people try to sell me those stupid Starving Student cards. And really, because I hate pushy sales people, I hated the Starving Student card. Frankly, I don't know if I ever even looked at the stuff on the card. I just automatically said no because I didn't want to be pressured into spending my $20 on their stupid card. And furthermore, I'm not starving.

But!

Then we went to Comedy Sportz the other week. And while we were there, Dan and Michele mentioned that they'd gotten 2 for 1 tickets to Comedy Sportz because of their Starving Student card. ...They did?!? And then they told us about all these restaurants that they were going to that had 2 for 1 deals on the card. So I made Michele pull out their card and let me look at it. And she was right. It did have a Comedy Sportz discount. And it did have lots of restaurant discounts.

AND! I notice it also has a discount for The Heber Valley Railroad. Um. Heber Valley Railroad tickets are always like... $20+. And we (okay, I) have been wanting to go anyway. If we go, that more than pays for the Starving Student card.

I WANTED ONE.

And Mitch said I could get one so I did.

Now that we have the card, I want to use it for more than just the Heber Valley Railroad. Dan and Michele said they're going to try and do everything on the card. I want to too. I had my first experience with using the Starving Student card yesterday. I'd been needing my hair cut anyway.

See, here's my general policy on getting my hair cut:

My hair is long. Female haircuts from really good salons are usually like... $60-ish. Really. And if I'm just getting my hair trimmed, do I really need to spend $60 on that? I say no. So my policy has always been that if I'm getting my hair trimmed, I go somewhere cheap. If I'm getting my hair significantly cut, I go somewhere better. The expensive haircut usually ends up being about once a year or so. But even still, I hate paying for it and put it off as long as I can stand it. I mean really, I hate paying to have my hair cut at all.

Anyway, I've been thinking about getting my hair cut for awhile. And realized that there were a bunch of "Free Hair Cut!"'s on the Starving Student card. "Why not?" I figured. So I set the appointment and went.

And I love it.

The girl did such a good job. She spent an hour cutting and styling my hair. And, aside from the tip, it was free. (Compare this to my last experience. I was literally in and out in 10 minutes and though my hair was shorter than when I got there, she hadn't done anything extra. I actually refused to tip the lady.)

So, long story short, I'm converted to the Starving Student card.

(For the record though, I talked to Em about it a bit and she pointed out that it's mainly only good for couples because it's all 2 for 1 deals and why does a single person need two of something? And she's right about that. But if you are a couple, you should definitely get one too.)

3 comments:

Michele said...

Jessica,
this post makes me so happy! yay for starving student cards! and which salon did you go to? cuz i need a haircut real bad too! and i would like a free one... seriously we have already used our card enough to pay off that $20. now all i need to do is go get that passport thing. so great! i'm excited for the heber valley railroad!

Whitney R said...

Ohhh, I'm so glad you tipped the hair dresser even though the hair cut was free.

When I was married I worked as a waitress and whenever someone would get a 2 for 1 deal they would only tip on their total. Not the total it would have been. Drove me CRAZY! I was doing the work for TWO not ONE. Just b/c the business I worked for agreed to do that didn't mean that me.. getting paid hourly at $3 agreed to give up HALF my tip for their table. Especially when they would get a free app and I would bust my butt...

Off my soap box. lol. So glad you are saving starving students!

Emily said...

I guess it would also work for single people who have like, a friend that they always do stuff with.

Or guys who are taking girls on dates. My summer Investments prof would be way proud of guys if they did that.

Also, if you want an Entertainment book, one of my friends has a sister selling them.