Lately I've been reminded of the book "Heggety Peg" by Audrey Wood. In the story, a mother of seven is able to save her childrens' lives by knowing which one would want which thing. It's cute. Read it.
Anyway, I've been feeling the same way about my kitties lately. Each one has vices and I know exactly which vice belongs to which kitty. I assume this is similar to parenthood.
Alley:
1. The Door.
Every morning, when Alley's ready for us to get up, she scratches the bottom of our bathroom door to wake us up. Annie never does it. When we open the door, she's resting on the cat tree thing. But Alley does it faithfully, every morning. Bright and early.
You'll notice we've taken the door stopper thing off. If it's there, she hits it over and over again making that boooingggg sound.
2. The Counter.
We have a very strict "No Kitties On the Counter" rule at our house. Annie's pretty good about obeying it but not Alley. Rule? What rule? She jumps up from a chair by the X, a lower counter also by the X, the couch by the right arrow, or even, sometimes, from the ground. Naughty kitty.
Once she's on the counter she immediately heads for the sink/lower counter to see if we've left anything good out.
3. Plants.
And by the way, it's either been on our table or on top of our entertainment center. Both of which she's not supposed to be on. And she knocked it over the other day too.
This plant is supposed to have really pretty red and yellow flowers but, as you can see, Alley pulls the petals off before they get a chance to really bloom.
Annie:
1. The Bathroom Trash Can.
This tops Annie's list. It's her that does it, every time. She likes to knock over our bathroom trash can and rummage through it. She especially likes the q-tips because they're easy to take and play with. All over the house.
3. Screens.
No picture on this one since, well, you couldn't see the screen in any of the pictures I took of ours. Just the stuff outside. But everyone knows what a window screen looks like, right? Of course right. Anyway, I don't think she does it to scratch them. I think she uses them to help her stretch. And Mitch thinks she might be trying to reach outside things. Thankfully she never does any damage to them. I still don't want her thinking it's okay though.
Sometimes we play a guessing game about their vices. "A kitty knocked over the trash, who do you think did it?" And the guesser always gets it right.
Finally, one for my husband that complains our blog is all about kitties now. (Maybe if he posted more often we'd have some variety.)
Mitch:
Enough said.
3 comments:
This post was funny, but it would have been far superior if it had pictures of the kitties caught getting in trouble.
It also would have probably taken a long time to catch everyone at the right moments.
Oh my, Did Mitch eat an entire jar of Cherries? ...In one sitting?
I feel like half of those vices would be gone if you did a very logical thing:
declaw your cats. At least the front paws.
Of course, that depends on whether or not you let them outside. Outside cats should definitely keep their claws in for self defense purposes, but inside cats are just going to scratch things up all the time. I know I risk arguments that "it's so cruel" and blah blah blah, but we did it to our cat growing up and he was over it in about two days. He lived a full 17 years before we finally had to put him down, and his claws never were an issue. He had his back claws in case he ever escaped to the outside and needed to rush up a tree or something to get away from a dog.
The house stayed looking nice, it saved us a bundle, and best of all, we got to keep our cat and love him to death because we were more confident in our ability to keep him around.
Post a Comment