Sunday, July 20, 2008

Primary!

Ever since I've been in Primary here I've felt like something needs to be done about the reverence in our ward. I don't know if it's because I'm not used to being around kids or because the Primary I grew up in was smaller or what but, these kids are noisy and wiggly. Someone else is always sitting in THEIR seat or they're sad they didn't get chosen to ______ so they want to go find their mommy or they want to tell their friend sitting next to them about the thing they did the day before. It's frustrating though because they can't pay attention or learn the songs, etc. if they're not sitting still. Anyway, I feel like its become my personal crusade to get these kids to be reverent.

In the past, if the kids weren't reverent enough, the bishop's office would be closed after Primary and they'd have to earn back the privilege of getting candy after church. And that sort of works but, at the same time, there's no immediate punishment for being irreverent. I talked to my mom. She has been something in Primary for as long as I can remember and always has good solutions to my Primary questions. My mom suggested a Reverence Jar with beans. It's simple. If the kids are being good, you put beans in. If they're not, you take beans out. When the jar gets filled, the kids get cupcakes!

I made my own bean jar last night.


And took it to Primary today.

Before I worked with them on the Article of Faith, I explained the Reverence Jar to them.

Me: Raise your hand if you like... CUPCAKES!
Primary Kids: [everyone raises their hands and starts talking] (Ex. Oh me! I like cupcakes! I like chocolate cupcakes!)
Me: Yeah? I think that's just about everyone! Okay, next question. Raise your hand if you know how to be reverent?
Primary Kids: [everyone raises their hand but quiets right down]
Me: That's pretty good! So, it looks like you sit still... maybe fold your arms... and be quiet. Great job guys! Now, without any talking, raise your hand if you know how to not be reverent!
Primary Kids: [of course all raise their hands and some start talking]
Me: Okay so, it looks like you know how to be reverent and how to not be reverent. Now. We're going to try something. This is our new Reverence Jar. When you're being reverent, we can put beans in. When you're not being reverent, we can take beans out. Once the whole jar gets filled, I'll bring you cupcakes. Got it? Now, before we actually start, let's practice. I'm going to give you until the count of five to get reverent. And if you're reverent, I'll put beans in. One. Two. Three. Four. Five.
Primary Kids: [absolute silence]
Me: Wow. [put a handful of beans in the jar] Okay now let's try the same thing but you only have until the count of three. One. Two. Three.
Primary Kids: [still silent!]
Me: Good job, guys! [put more beans in] Let's try one more time except this time, I'll count to three and you guys be NOT reverent, okay? One. Two. Three.
Primary Kids: [still silent!!!]
Me: Heyyyyyy! Guys! Okay, I'll put beans in. I'm impressed! So, we'll keep doing this during Primary and work toward getting cupcakes!

They were so good! And then, later while they were being dismissed, I stood there with a handful of beans and watched them. They were reverent again.

I LOVE the bean jar!

Also, I did another fun Primary project yesterday. Mitch and I had dinner at the Primary President's house Friday night (Which is why I forgot to pick up the dry cleaning... Oops.) She mentioned that she wanted to make a card for the old secretary that I'm taking over for. She has a lot on her plate with Pioneer Day coming up (she wants to make edible covered wagons!) so I volunteered to make the card and get it signed by all the kids. I was able to do that today while I was testing them on their Article of Faith. It was perfect. Anyway. I liked how the card turned out so I wanted to show it off, even if you probably can't see it very well. (It has a blue stripe at the bottom, the letters are puffy stickers, and the kids signed the inside.) (And in case you didn't remember/know, the Primary colors are Red, Yellow, and Blue.)

1 comment:

N.F. said...

Ooh. I LOVE that idea. Thank you; I'm going to pass it along to Primary teachers in my ward.