I decided to give myself the weekend off from blogging. In fact, the plan was to take the weekend off from most everything. Like that ever happens.
Friday we slept in a bit (I can't really sleep in like I used to), made pancakes (you have to have pancakes on the Fourth of July), cleaned house, spent a long time organizing/napping,etc. AND THEN, we barbecued. It was quite the task, actually. See, I grew up with Fourth of July barbecues. I honestly can't remember the last time my family didn't barbecue on the Fourth. And maybe there was a year while I was in Provo that there was no barbecue but... if there was, I sure don't remember it. I thought that was what everyone did for the Fourth. Apparently not. Mitch doesn't/didn't. I had to convince him we wanted to barbecue even though we'd just cleaned our house/kitchen and even though there were only three of us. So we did. With hamburgers, watermelon (what's the Fourth without watermelon?!), two kinds of potato salad, Cherry Kool-aid (that's the only kind we drink), about fourteen kinds of chips and dip,... that might be it. And it was good.
After dinner we drove to our next door city, San Ramon, for their fireworks show. All in all the show was okay but, I do think that some people need to learn how to be good in crowds. I have little tolerance for foul language, even if it's in a conversation not intended for me. It bothers me. Also, when planning your evening's activities, it's important to remember that Rover will not like the fireworks. Leave him at home.
I meant to take pictures of Annie and Alley enjoying the Fourth but didn't get to it. I think it's pretty standard to post pictures of your kids enjoying holidays but, since we don't have kids, I thought cats might suffice. Like I said though, I never got to it. And anyway, all they did was sleep.
Saturday was more packed. Remember how I wasn't planning anything for the weekend? Yeah well, Mitch and I had planned to go to the temple Saturday morning. On our way there, we got a call from some really good friends from our last ward in Provo. Let me explain about them. Dan and Michelle were in our ward. They're actually still in that ward. They're engaged, getting married next month, and Dan's family lives in San Jose. Anyway, whenever Dan and Michelle come to San Jose to see Dan's family, they come see us (or we go see them) too! And we love it. We don't have a ton of good, married friends out here so it's nice to have our Utah friends to play with every now and then. And they're engaged so they have more in common with us than with their single friends. So it works out well. They've talked about moving here after Michelle graduates and we've talked about eventually moving back for Mitch's MBA so... either way we're in luck. So anyway. They called us. We ended up hanging out with them at Golfland in San Jose-- and it was awesome. First of all, they had an arcade with tokens and tickets and prizes. And they had Skee-Ball. I love Skee-Ball. And they had this awesome Deal or No Deal game that Mitch and I got addicted to. We ended up winning enough tickets to buy some pretty sweet prizes.
And afterwards, we played miniature golf with Dan and Michelle. Somehow Mitch and I lost. But! My ball didn't go in the water at all so, that's something. We had fun. We'll have to work on our putting though for next time.
We made it back home in time to hit up Sarah's Coldstone for some Apple Pie a la Coldstone (in a waffle bowl, of course) and then see Iron Man. Mitch basically told me we could see whatever movie I wanted as long as it was Iron Man. And frankly, I wasn't looking forward to it. But it was actually really good. I was impressed. And admittedly, I want to see it again.
Anyway. That's all that's new with us.
Halloween in New Zealand
11 years ago
3 comments:
I will also agree that Iron Man is a very good movie.
Sigh. Does this mean I need to go see it?
I would just like to officially state that I think you two are good people (you know, in the way that people say, "so-and-so is good people").
Hopefully I can sneak out of Provo sometime in August for a quick visit to the SF area.
Post a Comment