Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pomegranate jelly-ing (with a giveaway!)

Rather than writing about our whole trip to California, we'll stick to a few highlights blogged one day at a time (or so).

Item 1: Making pomegranate jelly with Grandma!

My grandma used to make pomegranate jelly. Maybe once a year or something. And when she did, she'd give us a jar or two. With ten of us, it was quickly gone and that made us like it even more.

Since my grandma is getting older, I wanted to make pomegranate jelly with her while I still could. So, I planned everything so that we could make it while I was in California. (Harder than it sounds. California doesn't sell canning stuff like Utah does.) My grandma wasn't really able to help physically so I put her in charge of the recipe and directing.

First, we cut up the pomegranates and juiced them.


We didn't get very much from the real pomegranates we had. My grandparents have a pomegranate tree but, it's pretty late in the pomegranate season so, there weren't very many to juice and they weren't as juicy.


Luckily, we had bought more juice from Trader Joe's.

Tracy tried to help but, she mostly had to feed Nathan so I don't have a picture of her. (Turns out, babies take a LOT of time.) But Sarah helped too and I have a picture of her!


After all the work, here's our FIRST jar of jelly!


Apparently you have to put them upside down first. I don't know why, that's just what my grandma said to do.

Ta-da!!! LOTS of jelly!


And then we made MORE! We love pomegranate jelly!


And, we had some juice left over so I'm going to make MORE! Listen... I don't know if anyone even likes pomegranate jelly but... if you did, we could do a pomegranate jelly GIVEAWAY! (This one is good because now Shark can participate! Well, and everyone else.) Pomegranate jelly is good. And if you want one jar, you should comment on this post by Friday night. That's plenty of time. We like giveaways. And pomegranate jelly.

15 comments:

Kyle Kelley Family said...

I LOVE Pomegranate Jelly!!! I would love as many as you are willing to give away if you want to..

Tianna said...

For my comment, I'm going to tell you something useful. (Again.) I think that should earn me two entries. ;)

You turn the jar upside down to seal the lid so that it stays nice and fresh. Otherwise you'd have to pressure can or steam can them shut which is much more time consuming.

BJ Homer said...

Pomegranate jelly would be fun. Umm… I'll tell you useful something useful too.

Wearing shoes will help keep them warm. As will wearing socks. This is especially important in the winter, when it's cold.

Aren't you glad I told you something useful?

danielnsoly said...

i have never tried it but i do love trying new jellies!

BJ Homer said...

Umm… another useful thing to do is to proofread your own comments.

Does this count as another entry?

Emily said...

Ohhhh, I want to learn to make it too.

Michele said...

I want to win some, pick me! Everything I have tried of yours that you have made has always been good, so I'm sure this jelly is no exception.

Ashley R. said...

You can put Jelly on bread! (That's useful, too.) Yay for me.

Also, I found your blog via Emily.

It's Ashley. From Kansas. "Ley". Monica and Mikala's cousin. Yay!

Tracy said...

Yesssss!!! Enter me... and YES, I AM in the pictures... that's my arm during the juicing process. :D

The Shark said...

Yeah, my mom used to do a lot of canning and would steam-seal the jars. Good memories there.

I am Shark, and this is my entry for the giveaway (because you did sort of call me out).

Jenni D said...

Um... Can I still enter to win a jar of yummy pomegranate jelly? Cuz that sounds so yummy!

HalnJess said...

Seriously? A give-away of your jelly! HELLLOOOO - yes!

I love that you guys all made jelly together. Miss you!!

Deven and Kellie said...

Oh me oh me!!! I just have to try this famous pomegranate jelly! I need you to teach me how to mack this jelly!!

Sarah said...

Am I allowed to win? :)

Meadowlark said...

OK, technically I missed the giveaway (darn) but at least I got a good recipe. I make "Sunshine jam" and it rocks! Maybe we can do a trade with my next batch. (it's pineapple lemon)

Thanks again for the recipe, found you via a Google blog search for pomegranate jelly.

Peace!