Tuesday, July 6, 2010

4th of July!

On Saturday morning, we got up suuuuper early to go to the Balloon Festival. Mitch's grandma and cousins were going and invited us to join them. They convinced Mitch by promising him lots to take pictures of and they convinced me by promising me all the pancakes I could eat. (Pancakes on the 4th of July are a must. Or the 3rd of July.) And so we went.

When we got there, people were just starting to set up their balloons. It was a little windy and they wanted to save their propane until they could actually go up.

The thing is, I didn't realize how temperamental hot air balloons are. Apparently, as we learned Saturday morning, you can't just let them go up when they want. You have to wait until the wind is perfect and then you can let them go up. And if it's not perfect, you have to wait more. Mitch didn't seem to mind though. He had a great time and took pictures of everything. I was less interested in waiting.

We ended up having breakfast and then, as we were leaving, the person that was in charge decided to let everyone fill their balloons up! So they did.

And they even let three balloons go up! (The crowd cheered every time a balloon went up. I wondered if they always do that or if they were just tired of waiting too.)

And then, before more balloons could go up, the wind picked up again and made all of the balloons on the ground fall over. By then, all of the balloon people were tired of trying and wasting propane so, they decided to call it a day and try again Monday.

We went home and went back to bed. (As Mitch's grandma said, "I didn't even make my bed. I told it, 'I'll be right back.'") And we did not go again on Monday. Maybe next year.

No comments: