Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day!

As you may or may not recall, we decided that we're going to split planning our anniversary and Valentine's Day each year. I planned our anniversary this year, Mitch got Valentine's Day. And since we'd done a lot for our anniversary, we agreed to have a low key Valentine's Day.

I got up first and made Mitch french toast and hot chocolate (and orange juice for me). I even imprinted little hearts in the pieces of french toast. And, the french toast was made with homemade bread so it was even better.

After breakfast, we cleaned up and had time to get ready before these babies arrived...


(YESSSS!!!)

We'd picked them out the day before and they had nothing to do with Valentine's Day aside from the fact that we both love them.

Then we went and saw the Shopaholic movie. I've really been looking forward to it. (Friday night Mitch realized that I chose the movie for our anniversary and now we were going to another girl movie. I pointed out that we're supposed to see girl movies on romantic holidays. Somehow I won with that.) I've read all the shopaholic books but its been years since I read the first one (that the movie is based on) so I didn't remember all the details and I wasn't bothered that they didn't get everything exactly right. And I'm sure this comes as no surprise but, I loved the movie. It was super cute and made me want to go shopping. And I loved Isla Fisher. (Especially her hair.) Can't wait to see it again.



Afterward, we went to Isaac and Taniel's wedding reception up at Thanksgiving Point. It was really a nice reception. I was proud of them for not having pink and red as their colors (since it was Valentine's Day...). Everything was blue and silver and kind of... vintage? I liked it.



And they had the best food. (I had honeydew melon twice this weekend!!!)

So far Mitch and his old roommates are 3 for 3 finding wives in that ward. In one area at the reception, they had a bunch of hats and stuff. You got to choose your "look," write a message on this white board, and then have your picture taken. (Cute idea!) When they all lived together, Mitch and his roommates often teased Isaac about how slow moving he was with the girls he dated so they took this picture for him.



Unfortunately we didn't get any pictures of Taniel in her dress... This is them just before they left.



Anyway. It was fun seeing everyone!

We'd planned on going to dinner afterward but, between our movie snacks and reception food, we weren't hungry at all. We went home and changed our clothes and then went to the mall. Here's the thing. I love getting flowers and everything but on Valentine's Day flowers are super spendy. And they still die in the same amount of time and my kitties still like knocking them over. So Mitch offered to let me spend my flower money on something else (or he said I could still have flowers, if I wanted them). We went and looked for stuff but, I didn't really find anything I wanted (which is terrible because I was just at Nordstrom a week ago and found a LOT of stuff I wanted... what happened to all of it???). I did get another hat but that didn't count. So he said I can get something later. And it was fun walking around the mall together. There was one couple that had this romantic dinner set up at one of the tables by Nordstrom. It was cute. I appreciated it.

Then we went home. We watched the best movie of my life on tv (not really) and then, at 11:00 at night decided we were hungry. So we went to McDonald's and Beto's. (We each wanted something different.)

And you know, our Valentine's Day wasn't anything huge and exciting. We didn't do anything super fancy. And our plans kind of changed when our washer and dryer got delivered (super) late and when we weren't hungry for dinner at dinner time. It was still nice to just spend time together though. It was the perfect Valentine's Day.

1 comment:

The Shark said...

Aaaaaaw, now I wish that I had been able to go to the reception, too! I was the only roommate who wasn't represented!!!!

It's down to me and Darl now. Who's going down first? Hmmm....