Wednesday, December 15, 2010

North Carolina -- Saturday

When we picked up our rental car, the (nice) guy there (that upgraded our reservation for free) told us that if we had time, we had to see Wilmington before we left. It was about a two hour drive from where we were staying, but we didn't have anything else we had to do. And, in all the pictures we saw online, it looked like an absolutely charming little southern beach city. So we decided to go.

The thing is, in all the pictures online, it was sunny and the people were laughing and having a good time. When we went, it was pouring rain. And it's the beach. Oh, and I was in flip flops.

We walked around the boardwalk for awhile, but it wasn't quite as lively there as I'm sure it is in the summer. When we were done, we both still wanted to see the actual ocean. On our way to the actual ocean, we detoured past here, which is the creek they used to film Dawson's Creek (which I loved when I was in high school).

Then we went to the beach. Even though it was cold and rainy, we could tell that we would love the area if we were there when it wasn't rainy.

See? Don't we look like we're having fun despite the rain?

After we'd had our fun with Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach, we drove back to Raleigh and went to dinner. A girl in our ward here casually mentioned that if we were in Raleigh, we should eat at The Pit. You know, if we had time. Whatever. No big deal. So we went. Can I just say, the food at The Pit is by far The. Best. Thing. I've ever tasted in my life. It's North Carolina barbecue, which, I guess, is vinegar based or something so it's not like... thick and saucy. Actually, words don't even describe it. The meat literally melted in my mouth. I was in love.

It figures though. We always find at least one restaurant that changes-our-lives-but-we'll-never-get-to-go-back-to when we're traveling. (Exhibit A. And Exhibit B.) I was so sad when I couldn't take my leftovers. I actually did take them back to the hotel, but Mitch wouldn't let me bring them back to Utah. Something about refrigeration. He had to throw them away for me; I just couldn't do it.

No comments: