Wednesday, December 15, 2010

North Carolina -- Friday

On Friday, we check out the Durham/Chapel Hill area. We saw the Duke Chapel, Bennett Place, Nordstrom, and, well, just the area in general. The whole area is so... historical.

We actually didn't get any pictures of Bennett Place, but it's the place where the largest number of Confederate soldiers surrendered to end the Civil War. Neat.

(And, the Nordstrom was pretty good. It's bigger than the one here.)

One of my favorite things was driving around just looking at all of the houses. They're different than here. Except, there were a lot of trees. That's my biggest, number one complaint about North Carolina. Too many trees. And everywhere you look, there are more.

I don't know why everyone is so concerned about running out of trees. We have plenty. You just have to go to North Carolina. It's like being in the forest all the time. And YOU CAN'T SEE ANYTHING. Normally, I like to look out the window and see things, but in North Carolina, all you see are TREES. Everywhere. And I'm sure there are other things in there somewhere, but you can't see them. Every time we would drive over a hill, I'd expect for everything to open up and we'd finally see a real city. It's not like that in North Carolina though. No matter how many hills you go over, there are always more trees. Mitch didn't mind, but they made me a feel claustrophobic.

1 comment:

JBod said...

Re: your comment about the trees - the New England states and New York are like that, too. When we moved to Massachusetts in March, I liked all the trees, but after a while I got tired of not being able to see things.

There were stores and restaurants within a mile or two of our place that I didn't know about until our last couple of weeks there, because I couldn't see them from any of the roads that we used. (And you can't just take any road to get somewhere in MA - you pretty need to know exactly which street to take to get to a place.)