Saturday, May 1, 2010

Calves!

Not to be outdone by Em and Jeff's two cows, we got three.

This afternoon I looked out our bedroom window just in time to see two cows and a dog (only, I found out later that it wasn't a dog) strolling down the street behind our clubhouse. Mitch thought I was crazy but he humored me by going with me to check. Sure enough, we found three baby calves walking down the street! We have no idea where they came from but they sure were friendly!

We called the police/animal control but, in the time it took them to come out and pick the cows up, we had 75+ people (including children and one obnoxious 12 year old named Peter that said he was the second one to find them but he was the THIRD and I reminded him so) come and pet them, in addition to those that slowed down to look at them as they drove past. One of the police officers said they were probably only about a week old.

This one was my favorite. I named her/him Millie (like in Millie Waits for the Mail, my new favorite book).

Now they're gone to the County Farm until their people realize they're missing their three baby calves. Much as we'd like to keep up with Em and Jeff, our neighborhood/house isn't zoned for calves like theirs is.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hey, look! It's sucking his ear. Just like ours do.

I think it's cute when they do that.

Isaac and Taniel said...

so random. I love it! I wish that we had cows wander through our yard. You should have taken one into your house and kept it. I am sure that your cats wouldn't mind.