Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Honeymoon

For some reason Blogger hates me and refuses to let me upload certain pictures right now. So, that said, we’re skipping the bouquet toss and the garter toss and everything after that. Sad. Anyway, hopefully once I get it to work, I’ll post pictures, etc. then. In the meantime, we’re moving on-- to the honeymoon.

We left Saturday morning for our honeymoon. Luckily we’d planned our flight for like 11-something so we weren’t up the morning after our wedding at 6:30. I’ve heard of so many couples that have done that and regretted it. Anyway, we flew to San Diego and took a taxi to the port.

Day 1: San Diego/At sea.

Day 2: At sea.
One thing that we loved about our cruise was the fact that it forced us to relax. I mean, it’s a cruise ship. There’s not a ton to do on the ship. So we slept. And read. And slept. And watched tv. And slept. It was great. Oh, and at some point we played miniature golf on the top deck. And we went to the hot tub twice.

Day 3: Cabo San Lucas
Since neither of us had ever been on a cruise before, we weren’t really sure what to expect with the Ports of Call. Although we could have booked our shore excursions beforehand, we had kind of figured we’d just get off the ship and go for it. It was fun but, knowing what we know now, I’d definitely say that Cabo is the place to book an adventurous excursion. That said though, we did still have fun. We stopped for awhile and watched the people (mostly the kids) swim with the dolphins. Then after that we walked along the boardwalk area AND! HELD A BABY LION!!! I’m serious. It was a two month old baby lion and they left people hold the lion and take pictures with it.

And that’s really the gist of Cabo. We kind of wandered around the shops and restaurants some more. We ate at a little Mexican restaurant for lunch and then after that, we went back to the ship and called it a day.

Day 4: At sea.
See Day 2.

Also, might I mention that by this point, we’d very much established that we LOVED the dining room. We had the late dinner time but, I don’t care, it was worth it. For every meal we were eating steak and chicken and pork chops and we always got appetizers and dessert (Mitch is still raving about their Warm Chocolate Melting Cake) and bread. It was soooo good. And breakfast was good too! I’d always have French toast. Mmmm. Also, the cruise had the most amazing fresh fruit. I was always eating honeydew and cantaloupe and pineapple and watermelon and mmmm. And it was awesome because like, all the food is paid for with your ticket. Oh and plus, there’s 24 hour room service too. Complimentary room service.

Day 5: Ensenada
We actually really enjoyed Ensenada. We’d gotten smart and booked a shore excursion the night before—A Taste of Mexico! Our ship docked at like 9 in the morning and our excursion met at 10. They took us by bus around the city to see different national monuments, local attractions, and every day things in the city. One thing that I thought was the most fascinating (I know, I’m lame) was that there are only six of those GIANT Mexican flags. You know, the ones like at the Tijuana border? There are only six! And the cities that have them have been specifically given them. Interesting.


Anyway, after our little tour, we were taken to a restaurant in downtown Ensenada called “Mango Mango.” They had a little upstairs area set aside for us where the owner of the restaurant (Jose) taught us how to make things like guacamole, salsa, and tamales. That was fun too. And we actually go to do all the cutting and smashing and making ourselves. And there was lots (and lots) of eating.

After that, we got to walk around the little shops for a couple hours before they took us back to the boat.

Oh! And guess what I found! Thrifty Ice Cream!!! For those of you that may not have had it/don’t remember it (Mitch hadn’t), before Rite Aids were Rite Aids they were Thriftys (at least in California). And every one of them had an ice cream area like at say, Baskin Robbins or something, up at the front where you’d look at alllll of the different flavors, pick one, and they’d scoop it onto a cone for you. And their ice cream was amazing. We loved it as kids! Unfortunately, they gradually started taking them out as they turned the stores into Rite Aids. Lame. But I found one in Ensenada, Mexico! Who knew?!

Day 6: San Diego
We made it back to San Diego safe and sound. For some reason we were expecting it to take forever to get off the boat but guess what, it didn’t. We made it back to the airport by like 9:30 and our flight home wasn’t until 6:30. We wanted to rent a car and go find stuff to do for a few hours but, we checked and it was like $90 to rent a car for four hours. Seriously. In Utah it’s like $30 for the whole day. Why didn’t we take a bus or something, you ask? Well, Delta wouldn’t let us check in our stuff until six hours before our flight and we didn’t want to have to drag it around with us. By the time we were able to check it in, it wouldn’t have been worth it. So instead, we sat in the airport.

All.

Day.

Long.

It was not fun. We read. And eventually bought a pack of $4 playing cards. And slept. On the hard floor. And it was cold.

Although, I guess if I had to be stuck in an airport for nine hours, I'm glad it was with Mitch.

4 comments:

Morgan said...

YAY! Updates!

erin said...

A lion? Awww. How fun. :)

Liz said...

Jess! Didn't you love Dustin and Amber? They were our neighbors in Provo until we moved to NC - we were in the same ward and were our closest friends there. They are terrific! They took some amazing pictures of Katelyn for us. I'm so glad they did your wedding!

Unknown said...

I am so jealous about the lion cub.