Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Eavesdropping

The complex playground is right behind our house. We could walk out our gate, across the grass, and go straight up the slide. And parents take their kids to the playground all the time. I'd thought it'd be the kind of thing where kids maybe sometimes play on it but no. Different kids are there several times a day. Probably because the weather has been so nice. But also because the weather has been so nice, I've had our windows open. This means that I can often hear the kids playing. Today I'd like the give out the Good Dad Award.

About 30 minutes? or so ago, a dad brought his three kids (two girls and a boy) to the playground. Or maybe the kids brought the dad. I don't know. Anyway, they started playing. And usually the parents sit on the bench nearby talking or watching or whatever. Not this dad. He played. And you know how kids like to pretend things? Well, the dad pretended too. They had this whole long story going about rescuing the princess and stuff. And the dad was just as into it as the kids were. It was adorable.

Then, unfortunately, the boy said, "I want to go back home."

To which the dad replied, "...Why???" As though he had no idea why anyone would want to leave the playground.

Usually it's the parents that are trying to go home and the kids that are trying to stay.

It made me smile.

No comments: