Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sometime this week = today.

(Finally. Secretly I was thinking it'd be Wednesday when I would blog but yeah, that obviously didn't happen.)

Okay. So. Where to start? Let's just start with a summary of last weekend and then we can be current and not worry about trying to catch up on more than that.

Last week Mitch got an offer from a company in Salt Lake that he had interviewed with and he ended up accepting the offer so, being that it was in Salt Lake and we've only had one car since we sold my Tribute, we began a frantic search for a car. Seriously, there were some days last week when I would be up at 6:50, leave the house at 7:40, and not come home until 9 at night. It was awful. But! We did end up finding a Volkswagon Passat (that belonged to a super cute interior designer whose living room is the same color scheme as mine) in Eagle Mountain that we really liked. We made our offer to the seller and long story short, negotiated that we'd come by Saturday, take it to a mechanic to have it looked at, and (assuming everything looked good) buy it.

In the meantime... I finished work and school for the week (and somehow squeezed in a manicure and pedicure Friday, more about that later), we went to our ward activity Friday night, Em came down, we visited the mall, and went to a wedding reception. Then, on Saturday Em and I ran the Red Cross 5K...



and then we took Em back up to Trax, stopped at our bank to get a check for the car, and met up with the sellers. I'd called ahead of time and arranged for us to take the car to the only mechanic in Eagle Mountain. (Have you been to Eagle Mountain? It's basically the end of civilization.) Turns out, the mechanic is like... um... how do I describe this? Basically you drive to the end of this one road, turn left, etc., etc., etc, get to the dirt road, and part way down the dirt road, it's the brown wood house on the left. It. Was. Awesome.



This is the shop. (We have a million pictures of the mechanic's shop but none of the car we bought...) I love that mechanic and I wish he were closer. You know how most chain mechanics (and even most non-chain mechanics) won't let you into the garage and aren't very friendly and you feel like they just want your money? Well, this mechanic isn't like that. First, you get there and a couple of dogs come and want to be your friends. Then, the mechanics invite you in, apologize that there's no formal waiting room, and suggest you stand by the wood stove to keep warm. Eventually they pull a couple of chairs out for you to sit on. Meanwhile, both mechanics are chatting away with you while they inspect your (future) car. They know what they're talking about, seem to be telling you the truth because they're willing to show you/explain things, and even joke with you. It was wonderful. Best car place I've ever been, despite the location. Anyway, the mechanics loved the car. We ended up going back and buying it.

THEN. We had Stake Conference. Mitch had been asked to usher so we were there in time for that. (Oh, and first we went out to dinner at the one Chinese place that I like.) We stayed for like... 60% of Stake Conference (Elder Hinckley was there and he's my new favorite!) before we had to rush off to a wedding reception. No, not another wedding reception. It was the same reception as the Friday reception. Our weekend was so crazy that one of us read the date wrong or something. Anyway. We made it and all was well.

Sunday we had more Stake Conference. Our ward is normally at 2:30 and Stake Conference was at 10 (which really felt like 9 because of Daylight Savings Time). After conference I went and did marathon visiting teaching. When I finally got home, we had time to eat a little lunch before hurrying over to the hospital to visit a friend that had had emergency surgery the day before. (Wish we could have stayed longer!) And then, we rushed home to make dinner for Mitch's family that he'd invited over.

See? That was one weekend. And I think we'll save blogging about the rest of this week for either:

a) Later tonight.
b) Tomorrow.
c) Sometime.

We'll see.

1 comment:

Kyle Kelley Family said...

Nice Weekend! Thanks again for stopping by and visiting me even if it was for a little while! It is so nice to see friendly faces at such a hard time! Thanks again it really did help!