Let's skip the catching up and just get to the current things. Oh. Except one thing. So, I've always wanted an American flag flying outside my house, right? Well, we bought one the first week that we lived here and I was so excited to put it up. I was finally getting my flag! Once we got it I did have to wait a little while to actually put it up because Mitch was in San Francisco for a week but, the day after he got home, he tried putting it up. But get this-- the flag (a normal size flag) is too big for our house. There's no where logical to put it without it blocking our whole front door area. I was so disappointed! We ended up returning it. Sad.
Anyway. Basically all I've been doing is homework and studying for finals. Fun stuff. This week has been hectic. This weekend has been hectic. Today was hectic.
Ever since we moved into this ward, everyone wants to visit us. I think it's because we're the only ones that live in this housing development and they want to see our house. (Kidding!) This morning the Elders Quorum came over. (We completely forgot they were coming.) Then we both had Home and Visiting Teaching. Get this-- my Visiting Teaching companion and the girls we visit teach have a schedule. They visit at the same time every month. Awesome. I love it. Overall church today was good. We had our Christmas program in Sacrament this week. Nice. (Also, I swear, all of the girls in my ward are pregnant. Except for like... five of us.) Then, after church-- and keep in mind, our ward is from 2:30 - 5:30, we had Mitch's parents, brothers, grandma, and cousin and his fiancee over for dinner. We like having people over and need to do it more with the new year. Anyway, now they're all gone, the dishes are done, and we're finally relaxing today.
Tomorrow it's back to studying for me. Also, Mitch and I are going somewhere really good tomorrow night so I promise to blog about it afterward. Start getting excited. I know I am.
Halloween in New Zealand
11 years ago
1 comment:
May I suggest that, if you ever do get an American flag hanging outside your house, that you observe proper etiquette of it?
http://www.usa-flag-site.org/etiquette.shtml
There are also other sites out there with good pointers.
I know that most people out there think that merely flying the flag is enough to be patriotic, but I think when we do the simple things to treat the flag correctly is when we actually give meaning to the display.
It's not a big deal to take in the flag at night (or set up a light for it when it gets dark) -- and just think, every time you take a second to put it back up, it's like your own little ceremony to celebrate our nation.
Anyway, just a thought. Most people don't seem to care about tradition or properly respecting/observing patriotism these days -- I think I'm a dying breed.
Post a Comment