Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Girl in the Polka Dot Dress!

So after Shark accused us of being boring (which is probably true...), I took a page out of his book and thought I would write about the dream I had last night.

It started out with Jessica and I in some house in Provo. I don't really remember where exactly the house was, but I remember it being decorated in a typical 1960's browns and burnt orange motif with dim, flickering lights. For some reason people were hitting golf balls at the house while we were inside, putting nice round holes through all of the windows. To not get hit, we were crouched down in the kitchen carrying on a very normal conversation, not seeming to even care that the house was being bombarded by erratic golf balls.

As our conversation ended, Jessica got up and started walking for home. I don't really know where she was going "home" to, but she started off. She was wearing this really pretty white and green polka dot dress with nice green bandanna tied around her head. For some reason I just couldn't seem to let her go, so I just followed her down the street. In a very seemingly "Alice in Wonderland" fashion (You know, long path, abstract, with odd events...) she came across a couple of girls making a sand castle in the middle of their grass lawn.

She complemented the two girls on their work of art and at the same time picked up two ordinary sticks and began rubbing them them together. The sticks were similar to the sticks that the girls were using to "carve" their sand castle. As I got closer to the Jessica and the two girls, I looked at the sand castle and it was a 10 ft. tall, intricately carved sculpture of a castle tower, with window and all. I should have been amazed but, holding to the overall nonchalant feel of the dream, I didn't pay to much attention to it.

At this point we suddenly jumped several hours into the future into a castle. This wasn't the same castle made of sand, but was constructed completely out of Legos. There was quite the crowd gathered, with everyone sitting on pews facing the front of the room. At the front of the room, facing the crowd was the king and queen. These figures would have been perfect on any chess board, as they were not people, but Lego-chess pieces. Everyone was gathered for a competition, American Idol style. It was a classic sing off with people in the front row taking turns singing songs and Jessica was the first up. She got up and began to sing.

I don't remember what the tune was, but she didn't win. At that point, the dream took a sudden twist and turned to a "Groundhog Day" mixed with "Enchanted" style, with Jessica running around helping people, seeming to intuitively know what everyone needed. The main person she helped was this little old lady that had a food stand across the street. The store was going out of business, but Jessica told her if she would just put rose petals on the ground leading up to the store, people would come. Sure enough, as the rose petals hit the ground people started lining up to get Rice-a-Roni and margaritas (the only things the shop sold...).

For her charitable efforts the judges allowed Jessica one last chance to sing. She was distraught though. The only songs she said she knew were the one she had previously sang and the song from "The Office." The crowd at that point started yelling out other songs to see if she knew them. One of the first songs suggested was "Putting on the Ritz." Jessica became excited and exclaimed that she knew that one and burst into song. Seeming to magically appear were a top hat on her head and a cane in her hand and she was off tap dancing away. Everyone knew as soon as she started singing that she had won the contest and at this point my alarm went off an hour before it was supposed too....

What does it mean:

  • Don't use a cannon to kill a fly.
  • When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
  • Put your shoulder to the wheel.

1 comment:

The Shark said...

Stop doing drugs before bedtime.